Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

H&J violations not working properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

maguskrool

Technical User
Dec 11, 2006
PT
I'm typesetting a book using InDesign CS4. As usual, I have "H&J violations" turned on and go around fixing the worst cases, changing tracking and the horizontal scale.

Say I have a paragraph with 10 lines, all of them with varying degrees of h&j violation. Usually, when I make ammends to one line, unless there are words that change lines, the remaining paragraph keeps showing the same h&j violations, until I deal with each line.

However, in this book I'm doing now, almost every time I change the tracking or horizontal scale of text in one line - any line -, the yellow lines that indicate the violations disappear in the whole paragraph. Also, it usually doesn't matter wether I increase or decrease the tracking, the violations disappear, as if the whole paragraph was suddenly correctly spaced. The same is true if I create a discretionary hyphen, even in the middle of the line, where it won't change the paragraph at all.

I tried copying a text frame into a new document, and the violations shown are quite less in number, and everything seems to work correctly.

I have no idea why this occurs. This document is based on previous files I've done, and I've tried saving different copies, deleting InDesign preferences... Short of copying the whole thing into a new document, I don't know how to fix this. And I don't know if even this "solution" solves my problem in the long run.

Any hints? Thanks.

They don't look fine at all, that's the problem.

So far, the quickest solution I have is to select the whole story, change some property that I can change for the whole text (like text color, since all my text is one color in this case) and then select "clear overrides". This gets the H&J violations showing correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back