Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GWIPFLT.dat configuration question

Status
Not open for further replies.

garciama

MIS
Feb 21, 2002
US
I have seen documentation and a recent thread that say that each DSM should not have overlapping subnets or nodes defined in the gwipflt.dat file. What I don't understand is: why?

Does the DSM do an autodiscovery of these networks from this file?

Will there be some sort of communications breakdown?

From what I can see, this seems to just list the devices that are allowed to communicate back to the DSM. If we only assign one DSM per managed node for the agents to send traps to, then why would overlapping across the DSMs make a difference?

Thanks

The file lists devices or subnets that the DSM will actively manage - not devices that are allowed to communicate back to the DSM.

There won't be a communication breakdown, the worst that would happen is that you may get duplicate messages.

True - an agent will not send traps to all DSM's unless specified in its local aws_sadmin.cfg file. But the DSM will still poll all agents that it believes to be in its environment.
Setting this file will stop it from trying to manage anything it comes across, and also stop it from processing agent traps that may be configured incorrectly.
It will still all work without it though.

Thanks...That helps to clear the confusion.

Just for the record, since we are intending on setting up automated actions for some of the messages, we will be configuring this file so that each managed server will only be defined on one DSM. This will avoid duplicate messages, and response actions.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back