Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GWIA server won't come up all the way

Status
Not open for further replies.

ataylor44

Technical User
May 17, 2000
US
GWIA server won't come up all the way.I have a Netware 6 GWIA server that I'm thinking the backup is somehow forcing it to reboot on the weekends and when it restarts it comes up to a point that it ask you for this.

Supported Slot Choices

0. No Selection

1. PCI.Instance_E (HIN 10010 )

Choice:1

After hitting enter with choice # 1 the server comes the rest of the way up.How can I automate this because it use to work before we had some problems with our GWIA. And I looked at the 3 other netware servers Autoexec.ncf files but don't see it in theirs either but they come up fine with no intervention.Thanks

If I were you I would put a pause command after each command in the startup.ncf and autoexec.ncf, then step through each command that loads a driver until you see the one that hangs - but most likely it is a board in your machine such as a lan, san, or disk driver. Probably there is a slot command specified which has changed for some reason. Something like:

LOAD CPQSCSI.HAM SLOT=10002

You can try correcting the entry or try to use nwconfig to re-discover the hardware.

Actually if the option #1 works, the syntax would be:

LOAD **WHATEVER**.HAM SLOT=10010

The HIN should be the same as the slot, and you need to look in C:\NWSERVER\STARTUP.NCF - that's where the configuration will be.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE
See me speak at GWAVACON Jan 21-23 in Dallas.

I tried the rediscovering the hardware in the nwconfig but it just blink to please wait and the results would be on the console screen but when switching to the console screen it was at a point where you could not enter a command so I had to restart the server with a hard restart.I forgot to mention the Server is a HP DL360 running Netware 6 spk 5.I also tried looking at another Netware HP DL360 server and entering in the same as that one but when I did that the server stopped at a point where it displays the day and date and the users were waiting for mail so I couldn't try too many things but this is what the Startup.ncf looks like.Thanks Again.

LOAD IDECD.CDM
LOAD CPQSHD.CDM
LOAD CPQARRAY.HAM SLOT
LOAD IDEATA.HAM PORT

Just like I mentioned before, you need the SLOT number listed.. Your Startup.NCF file is blatantly incorrect, as it's missing the slot number completely. your IDEATA.HAM line is also wrong - no port number. Just take out PORT completely. It should most likely autodetect the port anyway.

Change it to this and you should be good to go:

LOAD CPQARRAY.HAM SLOT=10010

or

LOAD CPQARRAY.HAM (this should allow it to autodetect the slot number)

I've never liked the process of "Rediscovering Hardware".. Its completely unnecessary because you generally know exactly what you have in the server, and there are only 2 drivers you really need: the HAM (Disk device) driver and the LAN (NIC) Driver. Both can be easily configured in the startup files, and sometimes the reconfigure hardware option just makes it worse.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE
See me speak at GWAVACON Jan 21-23 in Dallas.

you didnt smartstart build this server as this is normally picked up

what backup are you using?

is it asr'ing or what

load cpqiml and you will see what it is doing

i assume it's a g2? or possibly a 3 and definatley not a 4

I have a G2 HP DL360 running Symantec NetBackup6.I did a CPQIML and there is ARS's from when it went down the last couple of times.Sorry to take us out of the scope of what the thread was written for but I have 2 different errors that says this.

ASR Lockup Detected: Code Executing at Netwaer OS Address 333036H When ASR NMI Occured

OS Critical: Fatal Exception ( Number 14 , Caused Abend: Page Fault Running Process: Server 4 EIP: 849110CDH )

will change the startup.ncf tonight.Thanks again guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back