Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

gwia/server configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjsj

IS-IT--Management
Sep 26, 2001
US
Hi all this is a biggy

i administer our groupwise emailsystem at work, but it was all pre installed before i started working there. i have my own network at home configuration follows

nw4.11 sp9 server 192.xxx.xxx.xxx int dhcp ext
coyote linux router/firewall
server 2000 webserver

i have installed groupwise and gwia but when installing gwia it says it cant see the internet servers so all email outbound and inbound is not working. i have ports 25/110 open on the firewall.

is there something that i am missing out on the server side of things to get everything to comunicate with the outside world?

sorry if there is not enough info will supply any info needed

thanks for anybodys help in advance

are you pointing it to a relay host?

you need to have the name registered and your provider will have an mx record that will point to you

i have 5 domain names registered and have configured the dns nameservers to point to my ip addresse at home, with mail forwarding to the same.

when installing the gwia software it gets to the point where is is trying to comunicate with servers on the internet that is were it says cant see anything. does the nw server have to talk directly to the coyote router/firewall for this to work? the internet is accessiable from all pc's on the network.

thanks for your help in advance

thanks for the reply.

it was because i hadnt setup the static routes so the server coudnt see the outside world. i can ping the world now but also get a reply back so i will have to find out what port does echoing and then close it for security reasons.

thanks again as it is all working now

remember you have to let the GWIA make DNS lookups as well.
(so add 53/tpc & upd outbound as well on the fw)

re:routing - consider using a default gateway for your network where all routes will be kept. Makes network mgt much easier! Point all machines at x.x.x.100 and .100 keeps the routes to the net, wan links, data vendors, etc etc. Adding statics to every host is a mgt nightmare IMHO.
Just my 2 cents, and worth what you paid for them! ;)

yes i see what you mean

all done thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back