Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GWIA does not send to host directly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loekje

IS-IT--Management
Mar 23, 2001
NL
Hi,

I'm stunned that a renowned product like GroupWise 5.5 Internet Agent (GWIA) does not seem to comply to Internet standards:

Whenever an MX-record is not available for a domain the RFC states that an SMTP connection must be attempted to the host directly.
So if somewhere.org would not have an MX record but would have an A- or CN-record then mail for someone@somewhere.org should be delivered at the A record.

Not GWIA! It just fails with " Response: 450 MX lookup failure"

Do I have missed something??

TIA,
Loek Gijben

Thanks for your reply donnadee,

But the DNS is working fine. Any query adressed to that DNS is answered as it should be answered. I.E for some domains there are no MX records but an A record exists (and that one has a working SMTP server on port 25).

Cheers!
Loek

Can you ping your domain name from your desktop? How about from the server. Also check the server's resolve.cfg. Your DNS server(s) need to be entered in the resolve.cfg file so that GWIA can resolve the hosts.

Again: Nothing wrong with resolving or reaching the host to send the mail to (telnet to port25 of that host works fine). It's GWIA not using the machine somewhere.com when there's no MX-record for the domain somewhere.com

My good-old Mercury/32 mailer works as a breeze with these hosts...

Loek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back