Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GWIA : Detected error on SMTP command

Status
Not open for further replies.

bynico27

Technical User
Apr 12, 2004
AR
Hello again.-

again I need your help.
I have groupwise 6.5 in my novell. All work fine ( I can send email inside my network ) but when I send a email to internet, It appears to me " Detected error on SMTP command" in the Gwia console and soon appears " MSG 213 Response: 450 Host down ([xx.xx.xx.xx]) "
My Novell is behind of my router making NAT.
Somebody can helpme??
Greetings from Argentina
Bynico

Has this worked in the past or is this a new install/configure? Is your Internet access working? If this is a new install or configuration did you configure the router or a 3rd party?

The installation is new and the Internet access is working.-
The router is configured for my. The router is making NAT and all connection inside the red work fine with exeption the Novell.
Example
From Windows machine I type the command " Ping and i have a answer, but from Novell Machine I type the command Ping and I not have a answer althougt for intranet work fine.-
Some idea??
Greetings from Argentina

Bynico
are you able to send an e-mail to your system from an out side e-mail server (hotmail, yahoo)?

NO...I send a email from yahoo and i don´t recieve it

Is it possible that the server is not setup in the routers access list? If you are using the ping.nlm on the server and are not able to ping any internet address but can ping inside and your PC's can surf/ping an Internet address then I think it is probably a routing issue in the router or on the server. Are you using any proxy servers to access the Internet? What brand/model router are you using? What version of Novell?

bmdb

I solve the problem the ping to any address of internet, but when i ping a domian name ( novell.com ) appears this message in my Novell " Could not understand as a host name or address. Please make sure NETDB.NLM is loaded and SYS:\ETC\RESOLV.CFG is configured correctly ".
The module NETDB.NLM is loaded and the file RESOLV.CFG is configured of the following way :

Format:
domain <pepito.com>
nameserver <202.64.51.215> <--- this ip is external dns
nameserver <ip_address>
nameserver <ip_address>

I have to open some port in my firewall o i have wrog configured the file RESOLV.CFG???

Some idea??
Thanks you
Bynico

Bynico:

I've been playing with RESOLV.CFG nonstop for the past few days. Here's a working one:

domain yourinternetdomainname.com
nameserver 123.123.123.123
nameserver 124.124.124.124

No brackets
Format exactly like above.

The domain is the domain that you are expecting email to come to - example - "bynico.com"

You have to be able to ping the nameservers, from inside your firewall, router.

BTW, after you make changes to RESOLV.CFG type "unload NETBM" at the system console and then "NETBM" to reload it. Or simply restart the server.

hth!
Luke

boys

The problems can be the module NEDB.nlm???
the current version installed in my novell 5.0 is this
NETDB.NLM (Address Space = OS)
Loaded from [SYS:\SYSTEM\]
NETWORK DATABASE ACCESS NLM
Version 4.10a August 14, 2000
(C) Copyright 1998, Novell, Inc. All rights reserved

Exist some new version???
I wait for yours answers
Greetings from Argentina
Bynico

What version of Novell are you on? You indicate 5.0 and 5.1. Which one is it? Look at the following links. The first is to a TID about this problem and the second is a TID that will tell you about another version of the NETDB.NLM with a link to download a newer version. Hope this helps.

People..

First----thanks for yours patience and help.-
Lamentably follow with the same problem...
I replace the file NETDB.NLM for this

NETDB.NLM (Address Space = OS) Loaded from [SYS:SYSTEM\] Network Database Access Module Version 4.10x April 23, 2003
Copyright (C) 1993-2003, Novell, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

But the problem is the same. I don´t know that do?...Somebody knowledge that can be?

Another idea is install and dns server in my novell 5.0 ( sorry. it is not 5.1 ) but i don´t know like doing it?...It is the solution???..
I wait for yours answers
Greeting from Argentina
Bynico

Did you check the format of your resolv.cfg file as yaktam suggested above?

BMDB

The format the my RESOLV.CFG is this

Format:
domain pepito.com.ar
nameserver 202.64.51.215 <--- this is external internet dns

The current version of NETDB.NLM is this

NETDB.NLM (Address Space = OS) Loaded from [SYS:SYSTEM\] Network Database Access Module Version 4.10x April 23, 2003
Copyright (C) 1993-2003, Novell, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Some idea of as can be the problem??
Any idea is welcome :)
Greetings from Argentina

From Novell....TID10059767 - Can't resolve DNS names from the server
1. Delete and recreate the SYS:ETC\RESOLV.CFG. Recreate this file from INETCFG | PROTOCOLS | TCPIP | DNS RESOLVER CONFIGURATION and reinitialize the system. If server cannot ping by name after, reinitialization, reboot the server.
2. Delete and recreate the SYS:ETC\HOSTS file. Place only your server name and IP address in the HOSTS file and reboot the server. It may not always be necessary to reboot the server, but if it doesn't work without rebooting, try rebooting before discounting this solution.

Also read this
make sure your router is allowing/not preventing inbound and outbound ports 25 (smtp), 110 (pop3) or 53(DNS). Are you using NAT on the server or router or both? Can you ping the ip address of your DNS server? Have you checked your MX record to make sure everything is correct?

People

The previous problem was the file HOST, I delete it, recreat again and the problem is solved.-
I resolve this problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....I can ping to the address and any other!!!!! But even can´t send emails, the problem is the same, when I send a email to the internet, in the GWIA screen appears the message " Detected error on SMTP command" MSG 213 Response: 450 Host down ([xx.xx.xx.xx]) "
Another Idea????

I wait for yours answers and thaks for yours help.-
Greetings from Argentina.-
Bynico

and if I send a email from Internet to my house, it not arrive, the message is "Sorry, I wasn't able to establish an SMTP connection. (#4.4.1)"

In my firewall have the port 25 open and have foward the port to my Novell ip, but the message not arrive.

Have I the open a more port in my firewall??
Greetings from Argentina
Bynico

What is Non-GroupWise Domain???---I see this in Novell forum support but I don´t know that is it...Somebody can tell me thet is it?
Greetings from Argentina
Bynico

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back