Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GWIA and smtp

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjtbt

MIS
Sep 26, 2001
US
I recently moved my entire Groupwise system to a new server. Before this, our external web server was able to use our email server to send email over smtp using a particular email account. Now we get this in the GWIA logs:

01-31-08 14:04:30 3 DMN: MSG 120 Accepted connection: [##.###.#.##] (u15256064.onlinehome-server.com)
01-31-08 14:04:30 3 GroupWise login failed: 8209

I have looked through every GWIA setting I can think of...and made sure that the external server's IP address is set up as an exception in the "From" with a * in the "To" just the way it was before.

Any suggestion that I can try or testing I can do?

(Groupwise 6.5.7 by the way...moved from an old NW 6.5sp6 server to a new NW 6.5sp6 server)

With exceptions, you shouldn't have to authenticate. That overrides the requirement to authenticate.

On the flip side, if you don't put exceptions in, you are required to authenticate if the mail is going anywhere outside of your system (any domains not defined in your Internet Addressing config).

I would try to use an SMTP client (Thunderbird?) and point to the GWIA and test sending an email out, and test your username/password combo and see how that goes.

Another consideration is that if you have changed the exceptions on the GWIA, I believe you need to restart the GWIA for the changes to take effect.

Thanks for the suggestion of trying Thunderbird...its errors actually helped me to find the solution. It led me to tweak some more settings on the GWIA and then the error I was receiving in the GWIA logs became "GroupWise login failed: 8503".

Found this error on another forum and found that this could be corrected by changing the post office links of the GWIA from direct to client/server. Did that and all is well now.

When I moved the GWIA from the old server to the new server I must have configured this to be "direct", but had previously on the old server been using "client/server".

Thanks!

All of your links should be TCP/IP links, and your post office(s) should be configured for Client/Server only, not Direct.

Otherwise you risk database corruption.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back