Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GWCHECK log - and user's mail box size/use

Status
Not open for further replies.

michigan

IS-IT--Management
Jul 3, 2001
Hello all - running GW 6.0.1

Couple questions:

When looking through the GWCHECK logs, and you see
"3129 kbytes in use by user's mail" does this figure also include attachments? If so, can I assume this user's total space is 3+ Mb?

I'm trying to find the best way to start a mailbox size limit on our email server. However, I would hate to set size restrictions too small. I'm not sure what the outcome would be if the limit set was smaller than one of my user's current mailbox size. Would email be lost? Attachments gone for good?

Is there there a "norm" or standard mailbox restriction size?

Thanks again.

Take a look at this and see if it helps to answer your question.

On systems I am asked to make limits, I don't make the limit based on mailbox size in bytes, but mail box size is either number of messages or age of messages. Number of messages, 500 is a good round number. Age of messages, 90 days os usualy good. Just have anyting over the 500 or older than 90 days get forced into an archive. For regular everyday users that if they loose a message and it has zero effect on you have the archive go to their local hard drive so it doesn't fill up your server. For those who if they loose a message and can have you fired, back their stuff up from their workstation or have the archive go to a network drive. Brent Schmidt CNE, Network +
Senior Network Engineer
provogeek@hotmail.com
East Bay, California; USA

Provo - Not sure if that answered my question or not. I do use the 500 limit rule, but for my user's that have 500 tiny emails, compared to my users that have 22 gigantic emails/attachments - I'm not sure that will do what I'm looking to do.

In addition, I think my 500 limit is somewhere set to "passive-mode" -- cause once in a while, when a users mailbox reaches, lets say 523, all it does it tell me. Shouldn't it set to automatically not allow anything more?

I'll have to look at the achive option - locally. Currently, I do not have this feature set up.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back