Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GW6.5 - Frequently locks up and other problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfejsa

Programmer
Dec 13, 2000
AU
Upgraded to version 6.5 from 6.3 (OS: Windows XP; NETWORK: Novell 4 SP6). Since then I had number of problems.

Tools, Options, Environment, Default Read View is set to Plain Text. However, Groupwise still opens emails in HTML View. This causes few other problems:

1) More of an annoyance - it tries to login onto Internet when displaying HTML emails so I have to click on Cancel button when it comes up with login screen. I receive a large number of Web emails every day so I really get upset after I a pressing the Cancel button tenth, fifteenth, twentieth...time.

2) Sometimes the login screen quickly flashes and then disappears behind Groupwise??? (I can find it anywhere, not even in Windows Task Manager). When that happens, Groupwise just becomes unresponsive - just like working with modal form, where the form (I presume Internet Login Form) must close before I can move the focus back to Groupwise. Since I cannot even find the login form to press Cancel on the form to close it or type my user name and password to open the email in HTML view, I can not return to Groupwise. I have to kill Groupwise from Windows Task Manager, restart it and hope it does not do it again. Sometime it takes three or more starts to open Groupwise. I fully uninstalled Groupwise and re-installed it again thinking there was something wrong upgrading without uninstalling version 5.5. That did not make any difference.

I am a member of various newsgroups (some use Yahoo Internet email) so I get a large number of Web emails in HTML format. I always had Groupwise set to Text Only View and it worked fine. If I wanted to see the email in HTML glory I could always right click in the attachment window and click Open in Browser. Groupwise 5.5 and earlier did not automatically try to log me to Internet like 6.5 seems to do.

3) Sometimes it does not print messages. In Quick View; print dialogue box comes on, I click print, it tells me teh document was printed but nothing happens.

Since upgrading to 6.5 I had nothing but problems. Any suggestions to correct the them will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Hey Bro, well guess what we had the same problems when we upgrade. I know that we installed the SP for groupwise.

About your html its a pain. what I notice plus learn from novel is that you need to do a windows update onyour computer. After I did the upgrade on a few computer here, I notice it works fine now.

Try doing that upgrading your windows update.

Let me know if it works for you if not I could help you out more.

Louie

I would uninstall GW 5.5 completely and then use the GW Cleaning agent to make sure it's gone. Then reboot, and *then* install GW6.5 If possible, slap SP1 on there while you're at it. It has some good fixes and enhancements in it. (reply/forward indicators, proper alphabetizing of emails by sender name regardless of < or &quot;.. stuff like that)
We went from 6.0 to 6.5 this past March and it's worked great. We're on a combo of NT4 sp6a and Win2k Pro SP4 machines. I won't put XP in here, when we ran it through testing it had too many issues. I also try never to install an app upgrade over an existing install. Too many problems.. Crystal Reports, Acrobat, etc taught me that! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back