Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GVBSetup GPF Error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbohon

Programmer
Apr 20, 2000
US
In attempting to install a VB compiled program on my XP machine I receive, right after I start the installation, a message akin to "GVBSetup has caused a General Protection Fault ...". System is a Dell P4 w/XP Home (Yeah, I know, I need to upgrade to Pro), lots of RAM and gigs of disk space.

The software author and I are mystified. There is nothing even remotely like GVB* on my machine, he used nothing even close to that in his build, my machine tests clean for viruses and spyware and he can take the same files from his site, download them just like I do and install them successfully.

There's obviously something I'm missing here - any thoughts, guidance (divine or otherwise), ideas or suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

"My mind is like a steel whatchamacallit ...

Have you tried cleaning out all your Temp files and Temporary Internet Files, and also turning off Security and Virus scanning programs?

Will it install via Safe Mode?

Are you up to date via Windows Updates?

Have cleaned out cache, offline files, etc. Have NOT tried turning off the anti-virus ... which is the only common thing on the three machines I've tried to install it on (XP Home at home, Win2K Pro and XP Pro at work). Good catch - let me give that a shot and see what happens.

Back to you shortly.

YOU'RE A GENIUS!!!!! :)

Turned off the EZ Antivirus, package installed in about 10 seconds with no problems.

And EZ Antivirus is on all 3 machines I tried earlier ... it's the standard package at work which is why I bought it for home.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU !!!!!!!

Best,

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back