Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gutenberg Block Editor - page edits and updates not working since wp site migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

c0deM0nK424

Programmer
Oct 28, 2007
GB
Hello all. I'm relatively new to wordpress and recently I finished a website for a client that I developed locally on my machine.

My local dev environment was simply WampServer, the site was migrated from here onto my hosting server (shared hosting). The site was successfully uploaded, everything works as required except for when I try to make edits on pages using the Gutenberg Block Editor.

I have noticed each time I attempt to add new blocks, be they headings, paragraphs, groups, cols etc and attempt to update the page, it doesn't do it. In fact, upon clicking on the Block Editor to edit the page, I notice that the changes I made have disappeared. It seems the state is not being saved and hence nothing gets updated/published. No new content gets added, no existing content that gets edited is updated and any existing content created via the block editor simply refuses to get deleted. There seems to be some sort of 'disconnect' between something, my migrated wp site page editing functions simply don't fire wrt gutenberg block editor.

I will add that the site also uses Advanced Custom Fields any updates there seem to work just fine. Just not anything created using the Gutenberg Block Editor.

This is quite frustrating to say the least. The migration was successful but something somewhere is causing an issue.

I have tried the hard refresh in the browser but it appears this is beyond that, the issue seems related to something more deep.

Interestingly, If choose to edit a page using the classic editor, I am able to add new content as I please. Likewise, any existing content created using the block editor can also be edited and updated as well as deleted. Again, just not via the gutenberg block editor.

My local version of the site works a treat, the wordpress installation and site has no issues there and the block editor is giving me no grief at all. This has only happened on the migrated site running on my hosting providers server (shared hosting).

On the Site health of the migrated site it informs me my server is running an outdated SQL server. Not sure if this has any bearing on any of the above but i figured I'd share that info with you all.

If its of any use, the PHP version running on my WampServer set up is Version 7.4.0

And my MariaDB Version: 10.4.10

The fact my server is running something outdated concerns me a little, but since its just the gutenberg block editor not working I wonder what the underlying issue might be.

Any pointers or tips on getting to the bottom of this would be hugely appreciated folks!

A few basic troubleshooting steps...
[ul]
[li]Turn on error reporting (or review site error logs if already available) to discover any PHP errors[/li]
[li]Make sure your dev and production sites use similar versions of PHP (X.X.y, where X is the same)[/li]
[li]Make sure your production server (likely Linux) has not carried over Windows-specific filepaths in config files[/li]
[/ul]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back