Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Guru - Rabbit out of the hat 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 17, 2002
US
This is a reposting of thread 705-194792. Rickspr had a good idea which I tried but it did not resolve. He suggested I start again - so here it is...
I have a rather simple Access 97 for logging and tracking certain type of correspondence. The user interface is contained in one mdb and linked to another mdb with the data tables.
The application is being run on NT server (both mdbs are on the server nothing is on the client's machine).
There are about 100 records added each day and a least that many are updated.
The number of users varies from 2 - 16 at any given time, although there have only been 6-8 users actually adding records (the rest would perform searchs and update memo fields.
The problem is the mdb with the source code (call it C) will periodically give an error message requiring a repair. I have not been able to identify a pattern. It has occurred immediately after a COMPACT, with as few as 2 users utilizing the application and has also gone for days with no problems at all. When the error is encountered, all users exit the program (many then receiving the error message) and the database is repaired. And things are again fine. This has happened as much as 3 times in the same day and has not occurred at all for up to 10 days.
Recently, we have also seen similar behavior with the data mdb (D).
There are no bound forms, recordsets are created to fill local variables and addnew and updates are performed after confirming the desire to include the data in the table.
My system's group feel that there are too many users (more than 10). That has been the extent of their resolution.
Any insights? I need some knowledge assistance.
Thanks

What is the specific error message? Is it a Jet error? Have you tried moving the front-end to the local workstations, I know that this can be a nightmare if you are doing frequent updates, but sometimes it can help to find out if it is a specific user, or NIC card, etc. that is causing the corruption. Or..try recreating the frontend by importing all your objects to a new database. Have you looked at the event log on the NT server to see if something was going on?

If you are using autonumber, multiuer dbs in Ms. A. will sometimes/often/always encounter the weird. See faq700-184 for ONE way to minimize one of these setss of problems. Be aware that the owner of this faq is not very helpfull, as he believes the probelm and soloution are rather obvious, and "professional" users should not have any difficulty in adapting the solloution to their needs.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

just a thought.... have you tried to start with a fresh mdb and import all the old objects in???

Sometimes this will cure weird behavior.

Ryan

Both Maggieb and stingers recommend importing the objects into a new mdb. I will give that a try. The idea of local versions is a hard - impossible one to sell to my systems support department. I will have them check server logs to see if there are any clues there.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back