Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Guilty of Pet Peeve

Status
Not open for further replies.

CajunCenturion

Programmer
Mar 4, 2002
US
In another thread I posted the following:

CajunCenturion said:
The only odd thing I see is in the question:
"Or if they said to give you a phone?"
It is one thing to interchange call and phone as verbs, but quite another matter to try and interchange phone and call as a noun.
In doing so, I committed one of my own pet peeves. Can anyone guess what it is?

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

try and"?

Rod Knowlton
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert pSeries and AIX 5L
CompTIA Linux+
CompTIA Security+

Nicely done RodKnowlton.

It should be "try to"

Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

I see a couple things, actually. I hope one of them is the right answer ;) You said it is your pet peeve afterall, we will be guessing.

1) I am not a fan of repeating words in sentences. I think they can be rewritten to eliminate the need to repeat.

2) "try and" can be removed. Or change to try to?

Mike Barone
FREE CGI/Perl Scripts & JavaScript Generators

CajunCenturion,

It's also on my pet peeve list. I have the added "pleasure" of hearing the regional pronunciation, which sounds approximately like "try-yun".

See if you can guess the region. One piece of local dialect that I've adopted in casual settings is "Are you ready to go?" shortened to "Ray go?".

Rod Knowlton
CompTIA Linux+
CompTIA Security+

>to interchange call and phone as verbs

Hummmmm... The use of interchange is a bit off-beat here, in my very humble opinion.

<consulting various sources/> ...

When interchange is used with two or more objects, it usually means to cause to succeed each other in a series or pattern; alternate, as in:

interchanged gold and silver beads in the bracelet.

Sweet interchange Of hill and valley, rivers, woods, and plains. --Milton.

The sense intended by CajunCenturion only takes one object, as in:

``Interchange of kindnesses.'' --South.

The correct way to say that is: "... to interchange call for phone as verbs", as in:

I shall interchange My waned state for Henry's regal crown. --Shak.

RodKnowlton - I would say that you are southern and/or western. Texas or Oklahoma?

Good Luck
--------------

>RodKnowlton - I would say that you are southern and/or western. Texas or Oklahoma?
Or even NY/NJ?

CajunCenturion,

I, as a proud son of New Hampshire, am not southern, but I've lived in Oklahoma for the past 17 years, and 15 years in Arkansas before that. :)

Live Free or Die!

Rod Knowlton
CompTIA Linux+
CompTIA Security+

Live Free or Die!"

Eek. The NRA have invaded! Seriously (as if that wasn't serious enough), I'd suggest that you could remove the 'try and' entirely without adversely affecting the meaning of the sentence. If you're 'doing' it, you're not 'trying' to do it?

Rod,

That also sounds like something out of rural TN - where my ex-husband grew up. He also doesn't do the stereotypical southern "y'all." Instead, he says, "you'uns."

-Dell

RodKnowlton:

I'm in Oklahoma, too. I live and work in Tulsa.

Where in Oklahoma are you?

MColeman:

I also live on Tulsa time.

KenCunningham:

To be clear, "Live Free or Die" is the state motto of New Hampshire, with the emphasis more on living free than on dying. :)

Rod Knowlton
CompTIA Linux+
CompTIA Security+

In 1809, General John Stark, in a letter to his former comrades in arms wrote: "Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." Making more sense than the shortened version which was later adopted by the state of New Hampshire.

But the shortened version fits on the license plates. :)

Thanks for the citation. I did not know that.

Rod Knowlton
CompTIA Linux+
CompTIA Security+

One could also argue that the origins came from Patrick Henry in March of 1775.

Give Me Liberty Or Give Me Death

Good Luck
--------------

For some reason, I believe that Patrick Henry was not original also."

Is this sentence correctly worded?

Should either be used in place of also?
Should originator be used in place or original?

Should it read:

"For some reason, I believe that Patrick Henry was not the originator either."

Mike Barone
FREE CGI/Perl Scripts & JavaScript Generators

>Give Me Liberty Or Give Me Death

This version wouldn't fit on a license plate [smile]. Here is the context in which it appeared (Patrick Henry, 1775):

"[...] There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! Our chains are forged! Their clanking may be heard on the plains of Boston! The war is inevitable--and let it come! I repeat it, sir, let it come.

It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace-- but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"

From

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back