Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Guidelines for Unix server Hardware specs ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

teddy74

IS-IT--Management
Oct 20, 2000
US
Can somebody help me with some info on a strategy to be followed for coming out with the Hardware specs for an enterprise Unix server. ..ie..how do i decide what server hardware configuration to buy ..no of processors, memory ,disk space requirements etc ..ie what factors should i consider while ordering a new unix server etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated ,
Thanks in advance
rajeshrcmc rajeshrcmc@hotmail.com
"Better to ask a question once and be thought a fool once, than never to ask and remain a fool forever"

I'm sure someone can give a better answer than me, but...

This is really a black-art and is dependant upon many things such as expected workload, number of users, peak activity, expansion requirements (now and in the future), type of workload, availability requirements, applications, acceptable response times and so on.

Server sizing is always a bit of a nightmare and sometimes it just comes down to a gut feel - benchmark figures can be misguiding as well :(

Check out (products and services) to get a feel for which servers are to be used for which style of workload.

Sorry I cant be more helpful.

Cheers,
Dave Vickers.

I agree with vickersdc, there is no magic recipee.

The best help you can get if form the hardware manufacturer itself. If you are planning to buy a server, they will be more than pleased to help you.

Many thanks for your views and Suggestions Guys.
regards,
Rajeshrcmc rajeshrcmc@hotmail.com
"Better to ask a question once and be thought a fool once, than never to ask and remain a fool forever"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back