Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Guidance using Direct OS Xtra to open PDF in Director CD 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsPepperMintUSA

Programmer
Mar 15, 2001
US
I found have a lot of information on using the Buddy API to open PDFs. I have inherited an application that uses Direct OS xtra and other xtras to open pdf files using Adobe Acrobat (the pdf is opened in a new window - for section 508 compliance purposes) and open active URLs (also in a new window - 508 compliance purposes).

I have received the “final copy files” (executable and supporting files -the dxr, dir, xtras, and media files) created by the previous developer and files that are called "working files" (these contain the dir files, media files, swfs, and xtras)

I have a strong suspicion that the "working files" are incomplete and some the required xtras are not listed. Since dxr are designed to protect the code, I am not able to determine which xtras or APIs the previousn developer actually used.

From my ongoing research, it seems that the Direct OS xtra was used to open the PDF. The executable (dxr version) application generates a list of pdfs that are accessible by clicking the link and section 508 accessible by using voiceSpeak.

However when I use the “final copy files” to re-create the executable, the links for pdfs and the URLs do not open. Including all the xtras before publishing the movie is the only change I made to the “final copy files” for the executable.

Below is the sample of code that is called to open the pdfs:

on openPDF myPDF
docPath = the moviepath & "pdfs\foldername\" & myPDF
if accessible then
pdfPath = dosFindApp("pdf")
if pdfpath = "" then
voiceSpeak("Adobe Acrobat could not be found. Please visit the Adobe website at and download the Adobe Acrobat Reader to access this file.")
exit
end if
end if
open docPath with pdfPath
end

Thanks In Advanced for any suggestions,

MsPepperMintUSA

One possibility is that your copy of DirectOS is not compatible with your Director version.

Thanks! I had a version for Director MX not Director MX 2004.

What a silly mistake on my part!!!!!

Thanks again,

MsPepperMintUSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back