Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

gui repaint problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyrobert

IS-IT--Management
Aug 8, 2003
US
i have a splash screen launch at my program startup...it basically is a JWindow with a image and progress bar and status message which gets updated from time to time. during startup a login box(JFrame) pops up over the splash screen and you enter a user and pwd and hit OK and the login goes away....BUT, here is the problem, when login box goes away the splash screen doesn't refresh until the main app pops up (basically stays up on the screen with the last command it did). I've been told this has to do with UI threading and the login box stealing the UI thread and not giving it back to the splash screen. Any and all help is appreciated. (Of course I tried the typical repaint methods, validate, invalidate, repaint after the login box is set to visible false). thanks

I assume that while the splash screen is up, initialization stuff is going on in the background.

What you have to do is move all that initialization stuff out of the main thread and into it's own, separate thread.

If the initialization is supposed to occur in the background even while the login frame is up, you might also consider putting the login in a separate thread as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back