Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Guestbook/Discussion forum problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AVDude

Technical User
Jul 1, 2002
SE
Hi

I have a discussion forum running on a W2K IIS using VB and access as a database.
I have no knowledge in .asp/VB.

All of sudden when I changed the location of the guestbook files they stoped working.

I have made all the connections in IIS to the access database but with no luck.

Any helpful soul out there that might find the time to check the files out and help me get the discussion fourm back on line?

They guy that made the forum for me don't reply to mail...

I'm lost.

Cheers
AVDude

If you post the problem/error you are getting we should be able to get to the bottom of your troubles.

Thanks,

Gabe

may i know exactly what error(s) your app produces when you run it? i need to know this because though your IIS connects to the database, your code may cannot see it. also, can i have the part of your code where you access the database.

:)

Is there an error? That would help pin-point the problem. But most likely your database string is wrong.. which is something like this..

ConnString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data Source=" & Server.MapPath("folder/database.mdb")

you most likley will have have to change the "folder/" part to where you moved it. Also if there are includes in the script those would have to be changed as well.

jason@vzio.com
s_vzio.gif

Thanks guys

I have a conn.asp where I have changed the string.

The funny thing about it all is that I had 2 copies of them running. I changed the location of one and it died.
I then made a exact copy of the working one and changed the conn.asp but with no result.

The error I get is when submitting a new message is a HTTP 500 Internal Server Error....the code can´t display the showmessage.asp

I can mail all the files to you to look at?

I really appreciate the help :)

Example at
Cheers
AVDude

Hello, yes you can send it over, in Internet Explorer you should goto tools > internet options then advanced tab then 'uncheck' show friendly http error messages. You are getting a 500 error, which is Microsofts Version of a "Friendly Error message" but it tells you nothing about what happend. So if you uncheck this it will show you the following error:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e14'
[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] The INSERT INTO statement contains the following unknown field name: 'Product'. Make sure you have typed the name correctly, and try the operation again.

/guestbook_5/savemessage.asp, line 43

It looks to me that in the code you are trying to insert some data into a column in the database that doesnt exsist.
star.gif
if I helped. [wink]
s_vzio.gif

Thanks

The files are on their way. If I try the same thing on a forum that has been working I get the following error.

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Operation must use an updateable query.

/guestbook_2/savemessage.asp, line 43

??? I hav no idéa what that means :)

Cheers
AVDude

Well that error is a fun error it means you do not have write permissions on the server. And you have to set them or have the admin set them.

I tried emailing you but it didnt work..it said..

Unknown host: jocke@longboard.nu
star.gif
if I helped. [wink]
s_vzio.gif

Hi

Strange about the mail... try jocke@plogen.nu

Anyway. I fiddled around with guestbook_5 and it works :)
If I look in IIS, both .mdb have the same permissions.
No5 works but not No1????

Cheers
AVDude

its not db permissions, its server permissions, because I have that same error on my computer when I try to insert. And tried many times to fix it, but gave up because for some reason xp won't allow me to access folder permissions in the properties > security tab, which that tab isnt there..
star.gif
if I helped. [wink]
s_vzio.gif

Aha

Ok, here we go... I made a copy of the .mdb that worked... Renamed it to the new .mdb name that did'nt work....

PRESTO... IT WORKS :)

I have no idea what was wrong, they both had the same file permissions on the server...

Thanks for all your help.

Cheers
AVDude

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back