Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Guest Account Desktop Files Win 2K

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlp50

IS-IT--Management
Apr 23, 2003
GB
I had a user logged in as Guest saving documents on the desktop. When he logged in again, the work was no longer on the desktop. Any idea where desktop files from the Guest account go? Are stored in a default folder where they can be retrieved or are they just erased??

If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

When a Guest user logs out, Win2k automaticly removes the Guest profile, including Desktop, any settings and My Documents.

You need to create a seperate folder for Guests, and teach them to use c:\Guest Data\ or similar to save files.

Microsoft's suggested solution, from their website:

(1) Log in as administrator and add the user to the local Workstation Group--log out.
(2) Log back in--now as the user, and Windows will create and save a profile for that user, even though they are a guest.

The MS solution is dealing with JohnDoe as member of group Guest, not Guest as the logon as I thought was asked in the original question.

I hold by my answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back