Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GTW V.92 Voice Modem interrupts Online work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lifesnadir

Technical User
Dec 12, 2003
US
The GTW V.92 Voice Modem has suddenly begun answering incoming calls on call waiting while I'm online and knocks me offline before I can respond to the box that appears. I actually had this post all written and the modem answered an incoming call---and I lost my not-yet-posted message! Let me give these details. I have WinXP, GW laptop with GW's V.92 xircom? modem. No changes were made to the computer except I did a "Restore" to 1 week ago (during which time NO program changes had been made) and we removed items from Start-Up Group. I use AOL 8.0 but I have NEVER had Call Waiting Disabled on the Expert Set-up screen with the result that callers only hear ringing instead of busy (this IS how I want it). In the months I've worked this way, I have NOT been interrupted by incoming calls. So suddenly, overnight, the GTW V.92 is now interrupting me online with each incoming call. I don't have time to even repond to the "Answer? Ignore?" screen before I'm knocked offline! I am caught between AOL Techs and GW techs pointing fingers at each other. AOL does have "Call Alert" but their screen is totally diferent than the gray screen with blue border that I get. The screen says "GTW V.92 Voice Modem - Call Waiting" across the top. So...does anyone know HOW to make this STOP? I know the easiest fix would be to disable Call Waiting thru AOL set-up but I'd really prefer caller just hear ringing, not busy. One other thing: In Windows HelpSpot, search "voice modem" it says some modems come with "PhoneTools" program in XP, but I do NOT have PhoneTools. So I don't know how to turn something OFF that I never turned ON. Please help. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back