Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gtk2 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FROGGYJ

IS-IT--Management
Nov 12, 2002
CA
Well here is a real newb question....I am trying out the Mandrake 9.1 and trying to install GAIM, but I am using KDE so i need to install Gtk2 first...

1)i see gtk2 for different distros...does it matter?
2)once downloaded, I know the procedure as far as untar'ing stuff, but I don't know in what directory?

If someone can help me out here so I do it right the first time that would be great. Thanks.

Mandrake has a really nifty tool for installing rpms named "urpmi". If you do a "urpmi gaim", it will attempt to install gaim, plus everything gaim needs to run (such as gtk2). Where it gets the rpms from depends on what you have defined your rpm sources as. I have removed all the cd sources, and use a remote Mandrake mirror for urpmi to be able to grab anything it needs (no CD switching or anything). --
JR

Hrm that's pretty handy, thanks for the post sure does help out us newbs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back