Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

gtk can't be found by configure and make scripts on SuSE8

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipemole

Programmer
May 9, 2003
IE
Tek-tips forums, Linux server section
Sbj: gtk can't be found by configure and make scripts on SuSE8
dt; 10./5/2003;

Hello:
A major software package has been downloaded, for installation from source. It was tested by its developers under Red Hat, while I'm using Linix os distribution SuSE 8.0 .
The configure, make, scripts search unsuccessfully for gtk path, gtk-config file. Instructions say that the s/w, which is mostly in c++, for compilation with gcc, has a section using gtk and glade for a graphical user interface. Thus, I began by checking, through use of "whereis", for presence of gtk and glade. The latter had to be put in from the cdrom. Then both were indicated as present. (OS install time had Software Option selection include Adv. Devl. and networking / server.)
The attempt to make the package still failed afterward. It gave message, ‘Can not find GTK location. Is it in your path? Can't find gtk-config'. At this point, ‘whereis gtk-config' does not find and report a location for it.

Comments and advice?
Additionally, how do I view / edit "what is defined on the path"?
Thank you for your time;
– pipemole –

May i suggest installing the locate utility for this? it does say in the whereis man that whereis may not always fidn what you are looking for, since it uses fixed paths.

On the other hand,i've never had problems with the locate database as long as i kept it updated. ( usually with a cron job late at night)

Starting from there, you would have to fiddle arond with your makefile and input manually the path to gtk.

All i can think of right now.
--Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back