Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

>_< BIOS problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amorphus

Technical User
Apr 14, 2003
US
before I start, heres my system specs:
AMD AthlonXP 2100+
EPoX 8RDA+ (Rev. 1.1... fairly recent)
(2x256) Corsair XMS Low-Latency PC2700

that should be all you need for this... I dunno.
anyways, I flashed the BIOS to the 3129 version, and apparently, it does not support my RAM. so, I go out and buy a 256mb stick of PC2100 (made by PNY). that doesnt work. I buy a generic stick of PC2700 (256mb, again). not workses.

I've tried everything - clear CMOS, removing everything I can, only the absolute basics, nothing helps. now I'm stuck with trying a stick of PC1600, and if that doesnt work, I'll have to RMA the board, unless EPoX decides to be awesome and send me a BIOS chip thats already flashed for me to stick in there.

does anyone have any ideas as to what may be the problem? I *shouldn't* be getting this error (for EPoX owners - I'm getting C1 on the diagnostic LED)

eep!

Why not flash it back to the BIOS version that worked?

Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

cuz it wont POST.

therein lies the problem. speaking of which, I RMAd the board just yesterday.

There's always a way. Usually it involves the flasher, the .bin file, and a line in autoexec to automatically start the flash, even though you can't see anything on the screen.
I'm sure there are detailed instructions on the site that Buckeye provided or the motherboard manufacturer's site.
I know that the process is similar for both AMI and Award BIOS', and simply requires holding down the (usually) INSERT key as the system boots, and it will read from the floppy automatically.

Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back