Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GRUB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renoyl

Technical User
Mar 15, 2001
US
I just bought a brand new computer with nothing on it. I want to have it dual boot with Windows 95 and Linux Mandrake 7.1. Anyways, I installed Mandrake and everything was fine till I realized in my excitement that I should have installed windows 95 first. So I deleted the linux partitions as root and left the FAT 32 for windows. When I rebooted Linux was gone like it was supposed to be but Grub was left. I can't access my Windows CD to install windows and I can't chainload or access DOS cause there was nothing on there to begin with. I basically want to start all over with nothing on my box. HELP!

Reno

hi,

u can do a low level format....OR you would need a bootdisk (98or me) and try to use fdisk...to delete that partitation...depend on your hdd manufactorer they may be able to provide you with a low level format utility...also you can use linux's fdisk to delete the partiation....

Hope that help,
Hui Emagine Solutions, Inc.

Wait!!!!! Before you do that... Get a windows 95-98 bootdisk from someone boot with it. once you get the A prompt type "fdisk /mbr" That will clear your master boot record. then you should be able to reboot and it'll be like new...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back