Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

grub on sata master, ide slave

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjpetrucelli

Programmer
Dec 5, 2003
US
im attempting to setup gentoo linux on a sata master and ide slave. I am also using grub. What should the settings be for device.map, the grub.conf and the commands for the grub command prompt (to install to the mbr)? I am specifically looking for what to specify for root and kernel location. Originally I was attempting sd0. Then i find that sd is looked at as hd1. According to the device map my ide was hd0 and sata was hd1. I have tried various settings some of them seem to work better than others but none seem to work.??

Actually, you can't get true RAID function that way, but you can emulate RAID 0 (limited by the one SATA drive).

You're mixing apples and oranges, and Linux has problems with that.

Set it up with one or the other, I suggest the IDE - and get a Raid Control Program installed before you use the SATA...

I suggest you use the IDE for Linux, and the SATA for the RAID back-up....

The easiest way would be to just un-plug the SATA before you do the install, get the control program installed also, then plug the SATA back in and re-boot....

Gnasty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back