Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Grub is corrupted

Status
Not open for further replies.

handle789

Technical User
Feb 21, 2007
US
Hi,

Please help. I have a PC with three partitions: C, D, E. The C: and D: partitions are NTFS, and C: has Windows XP on it. D: holds my data files and folders in the Windows environment. E: has CentOS version 5.x. The machine is dual bootable. When booting up Grub gave me the options to boot to CentOS (by default) or to boot into Win XP (by selecting it).

Recently I used Partition Magic to resize the D: partition. I shrank the D: partition. The freed space space was then used to create a new NTFS partition.

After the partitioning was completed, I rebooted the machine. But now Grub is having a problem. It does not display the list of of bootable OS options any more. Instead there is just a black screen with the prompt:

grub>

What am I supposed to do here?

I am afraid that after I ran Partition Magic somehow Grub is messed up. How do I recover the previous boot options? Or at the minimum, how do I make the the machine to boot into Windows XP? Thanks for your help.

GRUB is not corrupted, but does not know where it's files are located at, by adding a 4th partition, where the 3rd partition was located...

reinstalling GRUB should fix that issue...

see:

How to restore Grub from a live Ubuntu cd.

Boot with GRUB

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back