Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Groupwsie Archiving 5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

kris123

MIS
Jul 3, 2002
GB
Howdie - this is probably a really dumb question but is there any way a user can access anothers archive, - without having to sign on as that user, or re-directing the file location?

thanks

Archive files are generally stored locally (C:??) or on a network drive. But regardless of that, an archive directory is associated with a users FID. If access is performed from a client that has a different FID, even though the correct path to the archive <DIR> has been set, you would NOT see the archive. In short the FID's have to match, and to do that you need to login with the user that owns that archive. An archive directory is treated as holy ground. I think even having full Proxy rights to another users account does not allow viewing of the archive. I'm not saying that there is not a way to perform this on the sly. But that is another can of worms in itself.

FarOut
V-Peace-V

Thanks Farout, - I thought is was going to be a nearly impossible task! but thought it best to check!

Kris

Hi Chris,

There is a way to achieve what you want to do.

Use FID Editor 1.0. GW5AFE.EXE is designed to assist GroupWise administrators in changing the internal identifier of a user's message archive if the archive becomes inaccessible as the result of a user move.
Download the application from the Novell website and make sure you have the right version (it very important).

I used that when I imported archives from a different company to our domain. It's not difficult to do.

Best regards,

Alex.

There is a third party applet that allows you to export items to disk. You could have the user in question install the export to disk applet(Search Formativ on GroupWise Cool Solutions) and the runtime exe which will install a button on the toolbar in the client. Then have the user go through their archive and export the items to a shared folder. The only drawback with this is that you must create a directory structure that mimics the GroupWise mailbox structure as an HTML index is created in the target directory and it is static (every save creates an index)and won't allow you to add additinal items to that index. If you saved 50 messages to a directory and then saved 1 more message, only the 1 message would show up in the directory. Good Luck Breeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back