Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Groupwise 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

repairer

Vendor
Jan 10, 2002
I have setup Groupwise 5 for the first time on a workstation for the first time, it receives E mail OK but the user now informs me its not saving any attachtments, does anyone know what I need to do to rectify this?

Thanks

Pete

How is the user attempting to save the attachments? GroupWise by default does not copy the attachments down to the local workstation; the user actually has to copy the attachments from the client to the local workstation. Normally this is done via "Save As" then pointing to a local area on the workstation to save the file to.

I also ran into one client that would open a file from E-mail, modify it then close out of it. When they go back to the original e-mail attachment none of the modifications would be there. This is because when an attachment is open, GroupWise makes a temporary file in the TEMP directory. Modifications are then saved to that temp file and not to the original file in the e-mail. Explaining to them they must save the file locally then open and modify corrected the issue. Of course we were not running Document Management on our servers at the time.

Are you running Document Management on your domain?
david e
*end users are just like computers, some you can work with...others just need a simple reBOOTing to fix their problems.*

Sobak,

I am unsure as to whether he is running document manager, this is my first encounter with Groupwise, I configured a new laptop to run on a Netware 4.11 network, the user then asked if I could re-install his Groupwise, having never done this before I thought I would give it a try, it worked OK, I tested it and could send and receive mail. Since then the user has come back to me to say he cannot save his attachments locally (or maybe I should say its not saving them automatically locally). One thing I must point out is that the user is new to this company, his previous mail experience is with MS Outlook, is it the case with Groupwise where all mail is stored on the server instead of locally on the users local drive? and if he wants to save locally does he have to save it to a local drive himself?

Hope all the above makes some sense and many thanks for your help, its the first time I have used this forum, very impressed!

Pete

Pete, makes perfect sense, I believe the user may have had the remote option installed on his GroupWise. The remote option allows the user to download all his e-mail while he's in the office to open later while he's away from the office. Outlook did this by using personal folders, the user could download his e-mail to his local system and sync his both his local and remote inboxes, along with Directory lists. To enable this feature you need to open GroupWise, click on Tools then "Hit the Road" what this does is setup the system to download his e-mail to the laptop so it's available for off-line viewing.

Makes sense now that you stated it was a laptop. I'm sure this is the feature he's talking about. Just ask him if he want's his e-mail available to him when he’s not connected to the system.

Tek-tips is an excellent resource, I have learned a lot here as well as answer some questions. Hope you stick around maybe you can help me one day....
david e
*end users are just like computers, some you can work with...others just need a simple reBOOTing to fix their problems.*

sobak,

Many thanks, sounds like the answer, going to look at it back end of next week, will try out what you outlined above.

Thanks

Pete

If you run into problems, just post here toward the end of the week I practically live on this board. Most of my problems happen toward the early part of the week...

David.
david e

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back