Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GroupWise Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

stars

Instructor
Jan 30, 2001
US
We are using GroupWise 5.5 and several users have set up rules to move messages to folders when they come in. Unfortunately, some rules are not working 100% of the time and some messages show up in the mailbox and not the folder despite re-setting rules/filters numerous times. Any other suggestions??

Can you post some of the rules? Maybe there is some ambiquity.

PolarStar here is an example of one of the "part-time" working rules. I've changed the name to protect the innocent:

Act on items where (Item Type is Mail) and From contains '&quot;BOB JONES, EDWARDS, (A.G)_Son&quot; <JONESB@email address>' or From contains 'Bob Jones' or From contains 'BOB JONES' or From is 'JONESB@email address'

The original rule was set up with only one filter that being Bob's complete email address we cut and pasted into the rule. When this didn't work 100% of the time, we started adding the small and upper case because sometimes his email comes in that way too.

I've had my user move this rule up on his rule list and remove some of the extra filters w/o success.

We're using GW 5.25 at work and I've experienced the same problem. I think it may have to do with a maximum number of rules. I have about 20 defined with only 12 checked. This seems to work ok. Talked with my administrator (we're on a network) and he said nothing he has read has indicated a maximum number of rules before they stop working.

The solution for me, at least, is to just do the rules you think most important, THE TOP TWELVE so to speak and live with it.

Used OE at home and if you set up too many rules, the program craps out continuously. Now use Becky2 for email at home and it's great!
PhiloVance
Other hobbies, interests: Travel, Model RR (HO Gauge), Genealogy.

I have found other users at our company that are having the same difficulty with GroupWise rules not always working. Novell does state there is no maximum amount of rules you can have.

There is an add on software to GroupWise called Nexic Symphony which we have loaded on a few computers at our company(including mine). Among other features, Nexic has a Rule Wizard that will automatically set up rules, i.e., junk mail rule that works 100% of the time no matter how many rules you have.

I had some time to kill today and thought I'd make up a rule. I'd received some mail from a group I belong to and they're filling up my mailbox. So I created a folder to store them in, went to tools>rules and set one up to copy this particular email to this particular folder. Then I used the 'run' option to test it. Nothing happened, tried again 'run', nothing happened.

>:-< >:-< >:-<

Figured that was it and went back to the mailbox to manually move it to the folder and lo and behold! it was gone!

The screen stayed the same after I'd 'run' it, so I figured the rule didn't work, but once I'd closed the rule and went to the mailbox, it had actually worked!

There's a moral in there somewhere!

X-) s-)

BTW, we use Version 5.25
PhiloVance
Other hobbies, interests: Travel, Model RR (HO Gauge), Genealogy.

Is there a way to block end user changing the rules or open the closed address book? What's the file name for the customised rules?
Appreciate for any hints. kenghan@hotmail.com

Hi, everyone - I have apeuliar problem in filtering incoming mail into a &quot;spam&quot; folder. The spam is marked as &quot;***SPAM***&quot; by my SA box, and users have a rule which forwards a mail with such header to an appropriate folder.

The problem is, that, regardless of asterisks before and after &quot;SPAM&quot; word, all mail which contans &quot;SPAM&quot; is routed to a &quot;spam&quot; folder, i.e. headers like <***SPAM*** Score: 7.5/5.5>, <Re: spam mail>, <mta1.infosec spam report> - all end up in &quot;spam&quot; folder!

Any ideas, how can I define a string more precisely?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back