Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Groupwise + Outlook Killed Each Other

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegoPiece

Programmer
Mar 19, 2001
US
It is with great difficulty that I have to write this with a somewhat calm state of mind - but I'll try anyway...

My Dell machine already came installed with Office XP and Outlook, however MIS being the true disciples of Novell have made it mandatory that we use the Groupwise 5.5 client on all our machines. After installing Groupwise, I ran into problems after trying to log in.

The first error read :

<i>&quot;Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request. Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it as the default mail client&quot;. </i>

After I clicked OK, I get ANOTHER error :

The 'MAPI' Session Handle' of the NOvell GroupWise 'Object Request Broker' could not be accessed. The address book cannot run (error status: 0x80004005)

When I tried to return to Outlook to rectify this - it kept crashing on me.

(deep breath)

So, does anyone know the best course of action for me to proceed with, as MIS have obviously made the world's biggest scapegoat out of Microsoft, by insisting that it's all Outlook's fault?

Thank you

Peace
Lego

&quot;People have accused us of releasing the same album 16 times - that's simply not true. We've released the same album 17 times!&quot; - Angus Young, AC/DC

I'm running Win2k on my desktop systems and I never leave OE installed on the PC. We use the GW 5.5 and now GW6 clients and to get them to work smoothly you need to install Windows messaging service and then the GW Client in that order. I have a lot of problems when I have to patch MS Office 2000 as the patches put OE 2000 on the system even if I didn't have it selected before. This has 'broken' the GW Client a lot. You usually have to uninstall both the E-mail clients and Windows messaging and start from scratch to install again. Novell offers a free GW client cleanup utility on their Support site to help with the GW client uninstall. If you don't feel like you are up to the task try finding a friendly MIS Tech who is willing to help out.

Good Luck
Ken

KenB's post is supported by the following links on the Novell support site, which might prove helpful. In defense of Novell-oriented MIS types who fingerpoint at Microsoft..... Novell at least attempts to make things work together. Check out the Groupwise plugin for making Outlook the front end to your GW e-mail system if you haven't already.

HTH
Dennis

Thanks guys! Funnily enough though I did do a search for the content in the above pages, but they didn't show up. Thanks again for your help... will live to fight another day today.

Thanks
Raj

Peace
Lego

&quot;People have accused us of releasing the same album 16 times - that's simply not true. We've released the same album 17 times!&quot; - Angus Young, AC/DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back