Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Groupwise Messenger without Groupwise 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimHilton

IS-IT--Management
Jun 20, 2009
CA
Hey all, our office is having a slew of issues with IM's, some use AOL, some use jabber from a mac server, others use MSN and a handfull use GWM.

I installed GWM on our 6.5 box and clients work on Windows, OSX and Linux.

So I'm thinking great! a solution. I called Novell up and asked how much for 100 or so licenses and they told me that I have to use Groupwise as well.

But I don't want too. We farm our email to some server ghod knows where.

I recently lost a my license and a NW rep gave me a replacement. I was originally licensed for 50+5 but now they give out unlimited ones (They just tell you to use the honor system). Well GWM also works the same way, I have no purchased licenses for it, but i'm at 20odd users so far and it doesn't seem to care.

Is this possibly Novell's gift to us die hards? I love the product and respect it as well and thus would like to be legal.

Thoughs? Comments?

If you didn't purchase any GW licenses, you're NOT legal for GroupWise Messenger. It's pretty simple. Novell never intended for that to be a stand-alone product or a freebie.

Bootleg it if you want to, but that's on your company if anybody finds out and then it's your job possibly.

From an network admin perspective - I see this: It's not a very good idea to have people A)using instant messaging systems that are not part of the company IT infrastructure. It can't be monitored, controlled, etc. B) They should all be on the same platform for reason A and also so that everyone is part of the system.

You've got a disorganized mess which needs a firm hand and some management backing to get straighttened up. Good luck.

But thats not true, you can d/l messenger from Novell's site and install it without GW. I checked everywhere for a place to put a license code and there is no such option.

Yes, I completely agree, that is why I was looking at GWM and a viable solution at its multi platform capable.

I'll call them again and maybe I'll get a rep that actually understands what I am trying to do.

Thanks for the info!!

Jim

I'll bet you it is true. Call them and ask again. Just because you can download it and install it, doesn't mean that it can be purchased separately.

Couple things.. Typically when you have GroupWise licenses, you just "Get" the messenger and they've changed how they do it. It used to be NOT available unless you had GroupWise. Now, and it is confusing and I don't ever sell licenses this way so I'm not 100% sure, but there is a line item in the Price List that specifically references Messenger..

877-006437 GroupWise 8 WebAccess/Messenger 1-User 1-Year Subscription License + Priority Maintenance

877-003544 GroupWise 8 WebAccess/Messenger 1-User License + 1-Year Priority Maintenance

It's a little confusing cause technically Messenger is not related to GW8 at all, in fact, Novell has not developed Messenger past GroupWise 7. But it is still bundled with GroupWise 8.

Also, I wouldn't look to Messenger as being a long term solution, seems Novell is taking different directions with it.

Also, there is no actual "License" file. But I don't think you can download the full version unless you have purchased it, I think the one you download is just a demo.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting, Inc.
A Novell Platinum Partner

Marv - you just confused ME more with that explanation (not saying it's not factually accurate).

Buda boom bada bing! Marv your right. I checked the orig zip file i had d/l'd from novell and right in the docs it says this is a demo, you can have a max of 10 live connections.

Even tho I have about 15 people in there, they are not all on at the same time.

That is a real drag. I wish netware would keep GWM, so far it has been "the solution" to this whole multi platform issue.

Thanks again!

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back