Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Groupwise email auditing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruster

MIS
Jan 1, 2001
CA
Hello All,

Haven't done much of the Novell administration in a while, and I have a client with Groupwise, who wishes to be able to audit employee email, to ensure that staff are complying with their email policy (i.e. for corporate use only). What solutions can I consider for this (i.e is the functionality integrated within Groupwise to be able to view employee email's; Is there an archiving product available which integrates with Groupwise to archive email; etc).

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Ruster.

Hello Ruster,

We have just purchased GWAVA from BeginFinite ( to perform those tasks for us. It allows you to set keywords to watch for, and then can forward a copy to others (HR) or remove it, or just make a copy of it. It also has SPAM capabilities, and AV (the auditors love the fact that we have a number of different engines covering our ASSets.)

It can assist with the following and the price isn't too bad!!

Virus Scanning
Content Filtering
Attachment Blocking
Size Management
Advanced Spam Prevention
ConsoleOne Snapin
Multi-Server Deployment and Management
Remote IP Logging and Configuration by IP

Hope this helps!

- Iowaviking

You can setup GW to send a report to GW Admin that lists all the emails incoming and outgoing vai the GWIA. I dont believe this reports on internal mail transferred via the MTA. If you go into NWADMIN, details, Optional Gateway settings and change Accounting to Yes.

This will email you a list of all incoming and outgoing mail with just the header information on a daily basis in a text file. You can then look at this file and check out the headers of mail to give you a quick idea of what emails people are sending. Good for small sites but would go with IOWAVIKING for a more serious approach.

Cheers,

Paul

As I recall, one of the products (GWAVA, possibly) can look into the MTA. I don't believe that there is currently any product that can monitor intra-postoffice mail.

Lee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back