Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Groupwise Archives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave12525

Technical User
Jun 13, 2007
GB
I have been sent a number of Groupwise archive files. i have installed a groupwise client and using the environment \archive location tab to open the archives.however they donot open. does anybody know the top level file that i should point the Archive directory at?? thanks in advance!!

I can't quote you on the path since I'm not near a PC with an archive on it (keep trying different ones), but I can tell you this. If you received the archive on CD, copy the archive folder to the hard drive and then REMOVE the READ ONLY attribute for the folder or that will cause you problems.

It's not just as simple as that though... each archive has a FID assigned to it which needs to be the same as the FID of the account you're opening it through. You will need to check if both the account and the archive have the same FID before you can view it. There are 2 ways you can go with this: 1. You can change the FID of the archive but I can't remember the name of the software I used to use for this so you'll need to research this (you can't just rename of the folder). 2. You can change the FID on the GW account to match the archives - this can be done from within Console One. The FID of the archives is in the folder name and is 3 digits.

Hope this helps. Sorry I can't be more accurate at the stage but I don't have GW near me at the moment!

Jules

GW5AFE.EXE is the FID editor. It is not supported for 6.X but seems to work ok. Make a copy of the archives first so you don't hose up the only version. To use the FID editor you basically rename the archive so that the fid string is correct, then change the FID using FID editor, then just open the archive from the client.

Thanks everyone seem to have got a handle on this now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back