Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GroupWise Archive Database & Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dedcrayzie

Technical User
Apr 2, 2003
US
We currently run Groupwise 5.5 and I'm considering setting up archive paths for all users mailboxes (20-30 user environment). Before I do this, I'd like to know how much disk space is required for the archive database and how quickly this will fill up. Are the database files compressed when the mailboxes are archived?

Any sound advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The Archive DB size depends on what is being archived.. I have all my users archives pointed to their home drive and I have some with archives in excess of 7 Gigs. The only compression I am aware of is the File System compression with Netware I don't believe it is stored in compressed format.

fwiw my understanding is different. From what I have read (or think I've read?;)) Groupwise gets about a 50% compression ratio going when it writes archives, which is reason alone to use them IMHO. Check the admin docs for GW which are on the Novell site. (support.novell.com) The complete set are there to read online or DL for free.

Hi Itsmyfault,

Many thanks for that helpful info. I'd figured there was some sort of compression on archiving but didn't have any figures to back up any recommendations. I'll also check out the support site for more detail.

Many thanks once again.

'Crayzie for Christ.

Hi,
I also have my archive path set to the users Home drive. The volume is just shy of 9.0 gb and holds 40-45 users Archives and also a backup of their local My Documents folder. Some people Archive almost all of there E-mail but the majority almost nothing. Anyway the Volume is usually about 85% full.

HTH
Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back