Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Groupwise and Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

golflover

IS-IT--Management
May 16, 2003
US
I have a user who was using Outlook... installed Groupwise 6, then uninstalled Groupwise 6. Now when she opens Outlook she gets an error message - "mapi was unable to open the information service GWMsp1.dll" this is a piece of the error message. How do I get rid of this message?

Just guessing, but it may be just a registry thing. I know that GW does not play well with other systems. For that matter neither does Outlook. One wants to dominate, usually it's the last one installed. Have you tried running MS Erase program? I would also suggest that you run the GW Clenit v2.0 utility program. Between the two it will do a cleanup on the registry and give you a clean starting point for a reinstall. Have a good one!

FarOut
V-Peace-V

Hi,

The core of the problem here is neither Outlook nor GroupWise, but Windows and MAPI itself. MAPI is the Windows Messaging System that is used by both Outlook and GroupWise. Microsoft wrote MAPI with a severe limitation, in that MAPI can only support one E-Mail program at a time.

As such, when you install a second MAPI program on the PC, it will almost always cause problems.

In this case I would suggest these actions:
1) Download and run the GroupWise Cleaning Agent to remove all GroupWise files and registry entries.

2) Remove the Windows Messaging System from your PC (Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs)

3) Re-install the Windows Messaging System. You can download that from Microsoft's site or Novell's site at

4) Finally, you may need to re-install Outlook.

gwexpertslogo.jpg

Gioffre Consulting
Check out our Novell Training Cruises

Gioffre,
Have you ever run this utility with ver. 6, because I tried it and it said it wasn't compatible...

Typically the GroupWise 6.0 and 6.5 clients are much better at fully uninstalling themselves. That is why the Cleaning Agent has not been specifically updated to cover 6.x. However, it should still run as all you are really interested in doing is to make sure the registry is clean.

If it will not run, then still proceed with the WMS steps.

gwexpertslogo.jpg

Gioffre Consulting
Check out our Novell Training Cruises

With GW v6.x you should run the Clenit v2.0 utility program. Which is used for GroupWise 5.5 - 6.5 and Messenger. You can get a free trial version from Email Essentials.

FarOut
V-Peace-V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back