Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Groupwise Advice 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmattson

IS-IT--Management
Jul 3, 2001
US
We are just beginning our move from ISP email to an in-house Groupwise email solution. I would very much appreciate any help or advice the board can provide. We are a fairly small co. with approx 100 users. Any pifalls to watch out for? Any issues you have run into?

Thanks to all in advance. Happy Holidays to all.

Don't let GroupWise install to SYS:pUBLIC. That is the default and I've never quite understood why.

You should put the GroupWise database on a separate volume, no salvage, no compression.

If you're installing GW7 (assume you are), just install with GW7 SP1. You don't need to install GW7.0 first.

There is a best practice document that you should follow:

Maybe overwhelming as a lot of the stuff you won't need, but if you have questions about anythign in particular just ask. (This was for gw6.5 but should apply to gw7 as well).

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Thanks Marv...sstoppel we will be running it on Netware 6.5 sp5

OK - I also set the GW folders to purge immediately, as the queues see a lot of file creation and deletion. Maybe marv can add if that is a good idea or not.

Be sure that users have no rights to the database. It is possible to run it as a fileshare database but it is a horrible idea to actually do it.

GW is extremely stable, so if you set it up according to the guidelines and taking Marv's advice it can literally run for years without failing. I have seen Exchange installations of 100 people with a full time mail admin, but with GW I have seen a 4000 user 9 PO install run by just one person.

You will want to do the general mail system things like control incoming attachment size, antispam and antivirus, etc.

As a matter of procedure I whack the indexes and also do a top-down rebuild twice a year which is adequate for my small shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back