Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Groupwise 7 client

Status
Not open for further replies.

sstoppel

IS-IT--Management
Jul 12, 2004
US
I tried to search on this but search seems to be down.

I have wasted days of my life trying to craft a push of the GroupWise 7 client using ZFD 7. Tried .MSI, Snap, Setup.exe with cfg file, nothing works. I see through GIS that a lot of people have this problem. Has anyone come up with a recipe that works?

Serious? I don't use ZEN very often for this, but I have done it and proven that it works. There are two packages you have to deploy.. One is a 'helper' app that has to deploy first. The other is the actual client. It will always fail if you don't use the helper app. I can't remember what it's called right off hand, but its in the zen folder on the client disk. Oh, use the MSI's.. don't snap it, that's miserable. Using Setup.Exe defeats the purpose of ZEN.

Also, if you want to try something different, I wrote up a guide for Gwavacon in January -- Here it is:
Note that if you have workstations locked down, it won't work. It requires permissions to launch installer, install stuff, modify registry etc.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Well, we are very locked down - more than most. I opened an incident with Novell. First of all, the original .msi doesn't seem to work well if you are not a local admin. Second, the later versions seem to work but only (strangely enough) if run in Normal instead of Secure System User or Unsecure System User. The helper app I think you refer to is IISscript1050.msi, I think.

I made some headway today but can't pick it up again until Mon. I will update. Thanks for the guide and advice, Marv.

P.S. If anyone from Novell reads this, the India tech support is terrible. You can understand only 1 in 3 of the techs and they have so little experience that they can only help the most rudimentary NetWare users. Please make it easy to reach Utah.

Yes. without the IISScript1050.msi running first, even as Admin the GWclient install will fail. I have tested and been successful on Admins and Power Users.

Note that you should create 2 MSI App objects, one for each MSI. Then make the GWClient have a dependency on the IISSCRIPT1050 which will force it to run before the actual client launch. It just magically works.

Regarding Novell support... More and more of their support is being outsourced to India. They are terrible. I have hashed this over and over with Novell and they don't get it. If you want to see an interesting thread regarding GroupWise and India, send me an email mhuffaker aaattt redjuju. It's too long to post here.

I spoke with support yesterday and asked the question about outsourcing... Right now the server team is still in Provo - this is support for NetWare, OES, and SLES.. Any client issues are sent to India. GroupWise calls are sent to India as well as many other 'side products'. I believe this is a disastrous move by Novell in an attempt to be profitable. But it is going to blow up in their face.

On the other hand, this has actually really helped our own business, because people choose to call us instead of Novell because they know we can do a better job in many cases.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back