Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Groupwise 7.02 to Exchange 2007 Migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

timmoat

Technical User
Mar 6, 2007
Dear all,

We are contemplating this migration and I was wandering what other people's experiences were?

In particular I am interested in the Quest Groupwise Migrator which looks to do what we need (Microsoft have removed connectors in 2007 for Groupwise)

Apparently it does not need an Exchange 2003 server in the mix for the migration and it also looks to move Groupwise archives and all the querks associated with a Groupwise system.

Many thanks for any feedback,

Tim
Has anyone used the Quest tool for a direct Exchange 2007 migration?

quest is the only thing that will take the archives across. it aint cheap and is quirky

you are better in the exchange forum as most here will think it is stupidity to move to exchange.

Quirks wasnt meant in a derogatory way; i meant the way stores things in a flat file method, the fact that it has both a frequent contacts address book and personnel address book etc... GroupWise-isms!

I did think afterwards that this may not have been the best forum to shout about wanting to leave!

Unfortunatly there are many reasons why we need to change - most of which are due to most of our niche software requiring active directory and some require Exchange functionality (journalling being one example). Budget isnt a massive issue, it matters of course, but we are not tied to the constraints such as a educational/public sector organisation would be.

Thanks for the responses.

Well the way I see it, if you need Quest to migrate data, it's just part of the migration cost. You're already going to be spending a boatload on new hardware, licensing, administrative cost, labor, etc.. so the Quest software is pretty cheap in comparison. But since you don't have a budget issue, who cares.

I would also recommend that you get a GroupWise consultant to help with the transition. Like for example, someone that is an expert at GroupWise, maybe a Novell Platinum Partner that specializes in GroupWise.. Just another cost involved with a migration, but critical to the success. Exchange people aren't going to know how to get the stuff out of GW for sure. Mainly because they have no idea what's in it.

Marvin

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting, Inc.
A Novell Platinum Partner

I cannot in good conscious recommend Marv due to his shameless plugging of his own services. Come on Marv - make your solicitation a LITTLE more thinly veiled. I'm saying all this with a smile on my face - no disrespect to you sir.

Did that shameless plug come off a bit strong?

Actually there are lots of GroupWise experts and about 100 platinum partners out there. Even some Golds, which are smaller, could be very good at GroupWise if that is what they specialize in.

The point is that if you get someone that knows GroupWise, your migration, yes even to Exchange, will go smoother.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Totally agreed and I was just joking around a bit. I'd better stop as some people (you?) may not have a good funny bone.

The problem with forums is that you read my text but can't see or hear me laughing at the same time. Yes I have a funny bone and most of the time I'm not serious.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

I've got one quick question about a move from Groupwise to Exchange.

I've read that there are two gateways:

1) GroupWise 7 Gateway SP2 for Microsoft Exchange
2) API

I was under the impression that because our Groupwise server is installed on Netware 6.5sp6 that we can only use the Groupwise API. This has a drawback in that HTML messages cannot pass across correctly.

Is my assumption correct - we can only use the API?

the api gateway is total *** although m$ keep saying use it - it is crap - if you are using quest then there is no need for a gateway of this type.

afraid - i've never used the other one except the beta version - and i was messing around with address book sync'ing for that.

what are you wanting the gateway for specifically - is it people that have move to exchange and you want the groupwise users to email them or ?

Potentially using it for a 2-3 week migration period.

It has issues with HTML emails although this is not a huge concern as all our inbound traffic is archived by a 3rd party layer of protection before it hits our network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back