Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Groupwise 6.5, lost administrator privileges

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfalconer2001

IS-IT--Management
Feb 26, 2012
US
We are currently running Groupwise 6.5 on a netware 6.0 server. I have not had to create new user mailboxes in quite some time. We have also had an issue with backups over the last 6 weeks. I attempted to create a new mailbox, and could not add or delete new users. All other email functionality is working. It appears that my administrative privileges are corrupted. This has been an unstable system for a while, the patches are not updated and we are constantly experiencing spam and space disk issues.

My question is how could this issue have occurred-none of the administrators (2 accounts that were set up explicitly) removed the administrator rights. What trouble shooting steps can I take, How can I regain administrator privileges?

I'd start with a DSRepair until no more errors and then apply relevant Netware and then Groupwise patches, giving some time (an hour maybe) until you start the GW patching.

When I used to patch Netware, I would REM out anything unnecessary in the autoexec.ncf (backup software, groupwise, anti-virus, etc.) so that any major NW patches would have a better chance of running without issues.

Then see what the situation is and post back. It's unclear to me whether your administrative rights are ACTUALLY gone and what specific problems are with the system AFTER patching.

Doing a GWCHECK of the domain and post office would also be a good idea before and after the GW updates.

Then maybe Marv will swing by if I can't answer.

You could spend 3-4 hours with an experienced GroupWise consultant and likely get your system whipped back nicely into shape. You shouldn't have to deal with an unstable system. But you're also running a very old system, why not invest in your business a little so that you don't have to fight fires? I'm not suggesting simply upgrading for the sake of upgrading, you still need to stablize it.. But you are officially 5 versions behind..

GroupWise 6.0 Released 2001
GroupWise 6.5 Released 2003
GroupWise 7.0 Released 2005
GroupWise 8.0 Released 2008
Groupwise 2012 Released January 2012 (I have a whitepaper to help plan for this on our company website: )

That said, your NDS (eDIR) is what controls administrative privileges. So you need to identify the 2 accounts that are supposed to be admins.. Do they have administrative level access in your tree? Either Admin Equivalent or Trustee of [Root] with supervisor permissions..

Then you have to ask yourself things like:

- Have servers been decomm'ed incorrectly (other servers still trying to sync with them)
- Is Time in sync on all your Novell servers?
- Do you see any errors repeated continually on your server console?

A full health check would be good, Might be a little overwhelming because it discusses procedures for all platforms, but you need to go through each section the best you can.

Once that is straightened out I would expect your GroupWise administration to work better. I can't urge you strongly enough to get your system upgraded and spend a little more time/money maintaining it. Any system that is neglected, whether Groupwise or some other system, will have issues if it's not maintained.

Marvin

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting, Inc.
A Novell Platinum Partner

Oh Marv - the typical consultant answer: "Hire someone (I'm available by the way) and get up to date on your product."

People HATE to hear that answer, BUTTTTTTTTtttt - I do concur with getting up to date.

If the OP is halfway familiar with GW/NW, they should get up to date on patches first after doing the health check as we both suggested and then worry about upgrading later.

Having not heard from the OP, they probably moved to hosted Outlook in the meantime.

Actually I don't want him to call me. I hate working with people that don't want to take their systems seriously. There's no money in it and they don't appreciate our expertise. (General assumption, I can't say whether that's the case here) It's just that someone that knows GroupWise can get in there and clean it up. Who better than a GroupWise consultant. I could make a list of qualified people that could help out. It don't matter.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting, Inc.
A Novell Platinum Partner

Marv - I didn't mean for them to call YOU or that you wanted them to call you when I said "I'm available by the way". I meant the generic consultant.

Just like the other thread I recently commented on - someone administering Exchange without really knowing what they're doing. God love them for trying, but if it's a company, they're rolling the dice with no real support and the potential for crash and burn is real.

I also totally agree with you about "taking systems seriously". Two years ago I had a customer whose RAID5 server went dead due to lack of anyone looking at it. They lost all their data (no complete backup for 5 months).

I got it running again and they haven't called me in two years to check on it. Do you think anyone there is checking on it?? No. They didn't learn a thing from that painful experience even though it actually "helped" them into bankruptcy, which they emerged from under a different name. HILARIOUSLY ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back