Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Groupwise 5.5 to Exchange 2000 Migration Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheStressFactor

IS-IT--Management
Sep 24, 2002
US
Hello All,

Im in the midst of planning a migration from Groupwise to Exchange 2000 and am doing a ton of research. I am currently reading the white papers on the migration from Microsofts site. One question I have is this....Can I get rid of the GWIA box I currently have in place right now and replace it with an exchange server doing smtp? Will the exchange server route incoming internet e-mail to groupwise users if I have the Novell Groupwise connector in place? Any insight, info, or help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Patrick

Yes you can remove the GWIA if you so choose. ASre the internet domaon names the sasme between users on GW and Exchnage? You will need the connector in place, and it can be a little tricky if you have not doen it before. I have doen it many times. Our migrations can be overnight or mailbox by mailbox over weeks/months while not losing any mail, keeping address books synced, etc. Like I said before, it is tricky to get it all set up correctly.

Thanks buddy...this is how I have it set-up.

One domain....Windows 2k Domain (formerly Novell) but I still have groupwise running. Have one box doing the local mail and one box doing GWIA. The domain name will carry over the new exchange box. This is my plan.

Down the GWIA box, Build a new 2k Box, throw exchange 2k on it, install the connector, add the mx record in dns, and set-up smtp. Is this what I have to do to allow the internet mail to keep coming in until I build a second exchange machine which I will use to migrate the accounts. I want this first exchange box just to handle internet mail. Thank you.

Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back