Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Groupwise 4.1a in Windows NT4 Failure to Notify

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bollox

Vendor
Aug 31, 1999
GB
For reasons of backward compatibility I have to get GroupWise 4.1a to run under NT4 - Notify does not work properly - It picks up the notifications and indicates this on the Taskbar button but does not bring the dialog box to the front. Also on closing it produces a GPF (General Protection fault in Module DDML.DLL) Help !!

Hello,<br>
<br>
I am deeply concerned for you.<br>
I strongly recommend you STOP running GroupWise 4.1a.<br>
<br>
The ONLY GroupWise messaging product you should be running<br>
is GroupWise 5.5.2.<br>
<br>
4.1a has issues, issues, issues.<br>
Why would you run an old product which is so 'crippled' in this day and age ?<br>
<br>
Best to You.

Agreed with the visitor - don't run GW 4.1a, at least not under NT WS. Use 4.1a if you must on DOS and Win31, but get 5.2 running on the NT clients. You can create separate domains and post offices for each group, and they will intercommunicate on the server level. <p>Fred Wagner<br><a href=mailto:frwagne@ci.long-beach.ca.us>frwagne@ci.long-beach.ca.us</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

One thing that might help with GW4.1 under NT - if your problem is that Notify does not come to the front while running a DOS program, you can have your DOS program start from a batch file that launches the DOS NOTIFY.EXE before the DOS program, and then unloads Notify (NOTIFY /R) when the Dos program terminates. I used this for a while, and it did work. <p>Fred Wagner<br><a href=mailto:frwagne@ci.long-beach.ca.us>frwagne@ci.long-beach.ca.us</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Check out the Patch 5 for 4.1A. <br>
From the Readme for gw51sp5.txt at support.novell.com goto minimum patch list.<br>
20. Notify would GPF when closing it on NT4<br>
21. The minimize button would not display on the GroupWise views running on NT4<br>
22. Notify was unable to play .WAV files on NT4<br>
<br>
I don't use Notify on any system, as I don't like the general concept. So I can't swear by this patch.<br>
<br>
Since others as much as said to s-can 4.1a, I say:<br>
I run 4.1a under NT WS and NT Server, 50 user system, 30 under NT (Terminal Server for most). We have no real problems with our system, and see no compelling reason to upgrade. My pocket book is not bottomless, we make decisions based on "does it work for us" vs "what does the new one offer". GW 4.1a is a solid product, that works fine, I seldom have problems with it. <br>
<br>
Just an IMHO Dis'n someone for a version of software they run is rude. <br>
<br>
danvanf@myself.com

danvan -<br>
I dearly loved GW4.1a, and the DOS client was SO much easier for elderly users to operate. I did have problems with it on NT WS (and NTWS is much more stable and desireable than Win95/98), so I was recommending moving up to 5.2 if you are able to. Among other advantages are support for long filenames in attachments - something which is necessary to avoid client confusion nowadays. Good luck, no offense intended! <p>Fred Wagner<br><a href=mailto:frwagne@ci.long-beach.ca.us>frwagne@ci.long-beach.ca.us</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back