Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Groupwise 4.1 to Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

redfieldz

Technical User
Jan 14, 2003
US
I have a customer that currently runs Novell 4.1 and GroupWise 4.1. They use the calendar feature of GroupWise to schedule all there appointments, so it is rather large. We are moving them to a Windows environment with an Exchange 2003 server using Outlook 2003. Does anybody know how to export the calendar data out of GroupWise and import it into Outlook?

Thanx

Andrew Stowe
MCSE,CCNA,CCA
If all else fail, reboot.

Here's what you need to have them do..

Upgrade GroupWise to version 7. Install it on Windows, it runs on Windows just fine (Doesn't need a NetWare server).

Install the GroupWise 7 connector for Outlook. Then they can use outlook, and all of their Calendar stuff will be integrated into Outlook. Plus all their other stuff will still be there too.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE
See me speak at GWAVACON Jan 21-23 in Dallas.

I should have mentioned that the server is running on bindery IPX/SPX only. IP is not installed. I has already tried to install version 7 but I can not find a way to make it use bindery. Any suggestions?

Andrew Stowe
MCSE,CCNA,CCA
If all else fail, reboot.

It doesn't need Bindery, nor can it use it anyway (Bindery and IPX are not the same). Technically GroupWise doesn't need IP either, but without it you won't get Internet mail. Using IPX (via mapped drive) is also not recommended, although that is your current configuration. I'm guessing that right now, the GroupWise system is used for internal communication and calendaring only. I also doubt you could even install GroupWise 7 on NetWare 4.1. I believe NW5.1 is the minimum version.

With your NetWare and GroupWise being so old, you're looking at doing a Migration no matter what you do. My personal preference would be to migrate to a newer NetWare server and utilize GroupWise 7. That way you retain all NDS accounts. The BIGGEST bonus would be that your existing GroupWise data would stay intact and you wouldn't have to extract it. You would also have a much more secure system, with less overhead on system resources.

I understand that this may not be an option for you, even a NetWare to NetWare migration will be a challenge for you if you are not familiar with how it works. Also you can't upgrade from 4.1 straight to 7.0. I believe you first have to upgrade to 5.5, then go to 7.

All that being said, you should look at the Novell Open Workgroup Suite. It includes everything you need to make this happen, and again, you can even install GroupWise on Windows if you want. GroupWise is cross platform and works on Linux, Windows, and NetWare.

Here are the minimum requirements for GroupWise 7:

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE
See me speak at GWAVACON Jan 21-23 in Dallas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back