Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Groupshield service won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

jatkinson

Technical User
Nov 14, 2001
GB
NT4.0 SP6
Exch5.5 SP4
Groupshield 5 SP2

I cannot get groupshield to start using any domain admin account. I keep getting Error 2186: The service is not responding to the control function

Groupshield starts straight away when set as local system account, however, the log.mdb and qtine.mdb databases are not created and all my blocked attachments are stuck in the qtinewrk folder.

I have followed nai instructions on all sorts of things ranging from DCOM settings to re-installing under new domain admin accounts. nothing seems to work!

Does anyone have any ideas or has anyone come across this problem before.

If I could just get groupshield to start properly from a domain admin account that would be a huge help

Cheers

Make sure that your Domain Admmin account also has sufficient permissions within Exchange. NAI article Solution ID : 4.0.1150672.2103695 describes these rights.
If it does not that may be the reason for GSE not starting.

With repect to the logging etc. I have found in the past that the DCOM settings may be at fault. We changed the password on our admin account a while back and the logging failed. Run DCOMCNFG from the command prompt. There are several McAfee related items in there - epocfg and a log qt one. Search McAfees site for DCOM and you will get hits that explian the granular permission required to get these running. Good luck.

[fish]

Hi there, thanks for the reply.

I've been through and double-checked all the DCOM settings which are fine. I've also checked that the domain admin has correct rights within exchange.

I seem to identify that the service hangs when trying to start the on-demand scanner (odcmd.exe) but I can't understand why?

re-installed several times.

Have heard from NAI, there suggestion is to put more memory into the server. It currently has 256Mb but they suggest that that is the absolute minimum and if I put 512Mb in the services should start OK?

Will try this when I can take the server down and report back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back