Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

groups of three....

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegameoflife

Programmer
Dec 5, 2001
US
I have a table with member address info in it. I need to find a way to group the members together by addresses in groups of three and if there is less than three unique member Address in a the series insert the word "void" in the row or rows to make a group of three. HELP!!!

Example
Table before:
Member Name Address City State Zip
John Doe 101 Home St Austin TX 78750
Jane Doe 101 Home St Austin TX 78750
Bruce Lee 50 Lee St Austin TX 75785

Table after:
Member Name Address City State Zip
John Doe 101 Home St Austin TX 78750
Jane Doe 101 Home St Austin TX 78750
VOID VOID VOID VOID VOID
Bruce Lee 50 Lee St Austin TX 75785
VOID VOID VOID VOID VOID
VOID VOID VOID VOID VOID

What are you trying to do with this format, cause DBs normally just work in records as there are usually more efficient ways of working with data than what it looks like you are attempting to do on the surface.

Ronald R. Dodge, Jr.
Production Statistician
Master MOUS 2000
When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

we are trying to print ID cards using templates in Word.... there are three cards per page and i cant think of a better way of doing this.

Why not setup 2 different word files, one as a record file and the other as a mail merge file that has the formats with the different field codes?

Here's a general description of how it's done in Word 2002 and 2003:

and the links below gets into more technical side of things in case you want to check them out.

Part 1

Part 2

Ronald R. Dodge, Jr.
Production Statistician
Master MOUS 2000
When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back