Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Groups in 46xxsettings 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

telcomwork

Technical User
Mar 2, 2002
US
I have a couple questions if someone would be so kind to answer. I can't find this in the phone or CM admin guides.

How does a H323 phone obtain it's Group ($GROUP SEQ) from the 46xxsettings file? I was thinking from DHCP Option 242 when it registers to MCIPADD(CM) and ontains from Station form (IP Phone Group ID:)? Does it then at some point refer back to the 46xxsettings file for Group specific programming?

How does a SIP phone obtain it's Group ($GROUP SEQ) from the 46xxsettings file? I'm thinking it hits the HTTP server first for the 46xxsettings file for the SIP Domain and Controller List then registers to the Feature Server but then does it come back and reference the 46xxsettings file for IF $GROUP SEQ x goto nameofgroup?

So I guess my big question is if a phone doesn't know it's ($GROUP SEQ) upon new out of the box how does it obtain this and does it refer to the 46xxsettings file multiple times?

Out of the box (or after a MUTE-CLEAR-#/restart), the phone will have a group of 0. This group variable is either configured when the phone logs in the first time OR by manually programming it to the phone (MUTE-GROUP-#).

If the phone is logging in the first time, it will take one more reboot for it to act up on the GROUP variable.

How does the phone refer to the 46xxsettings multiple times? It doesn't - only when the phone boots up.

Ok thank you.

So phone boots with 0, gets assigned to a group from CM or Feature Server for SIP phones and then automatically reboots again with new group assignment to grab the specifica settings?

Thank you again!

I'm not 100% sure on the SIP phones as I've primarily dealt with H323 but I think so. As for the phone rebooting... I'm not sure if its automatic or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back