Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GroupPolicy error 1065 with Windows SBS CSE Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

RdFromK

Programmer
Dec 18, 2015
DE
thread1690-1688219

We have an SBS 2011 as DC and a Windows Server 2012 R2 serving as file and db server.
Every now and then (between 3 days and 3 months) we get Group Policy Error 1065 on the 2012 R2 and access to launch programs is denied for all users. Even the server console won't run.
When this occurs, a reboot of the machine is the only option. Afterwards everything is fine again until the error eventually comes back.
I have found no specific actions or events that trigger this error.
Also I can rule out any hardware problems.

The message in the system log is:
The processing of Group Policy failed. Windows could not evaluate the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) filter for the Group Policy object CN={70734163-...},CN=POLICIES,CN=SYSTEM,DC=XXX,DC=LOCAL. This could be caused by RSOP being disabled or Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) service being disabled, stopped, or other WMI errors.

The failed policy is the Windows SBS CSE Policy which the server apparently tries to load from "\\domain.local\SysVol\domain.local\Policies\" on your SBS Server. The SBS Server runs fine and does not need a reboot in this case.

This problem has been reported before in the referenced thread but there was no solution provided.
Does anyone know of the problem and a solution?

Thx
RdFromK

Also I can rule out any hardware problems.
Even the server console won't run.

Could you be running out of resources, as in memory, possible handles? Doesn't take much if you have one program unpatched or a bug in a program. Typically with very low resources the server services start to shut down one after another until no response.
In taskmanger, processes tab, sort on memory, watch for any process using a continuing greater amount of memory, over time, without releasing any.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
Popular Mechanics, 1949

Thanks technome,

Unfortunatley the problem persists and I find cannot find any pattern, when and why this occurs.
I have not been able to identify any Memory or resource problems in Task Manager, nor ist there any indication of a problem in the event log Prior to this problem.
However I do not exactly know how to detect whether the machine runs out of handles.
The Server runs only hyper-v and two databases (SQL Server 14 and Oracle 12).

Any further help is appreciated.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back