Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Grouping/Linking Tasks

Status
Not open for further replies.

LewisReeder

IS-IT--Management
Jul 18, 2005
US
I was wondering if there is a way to group multiple tasks which have the same start and end dates. I want to be able to group them and then link them to the next task that starts at a later date. Also, is there a way to link 2 tasks in which the 2nd task's start date is in the middle of the previous task with out altering the dates(i.e. task 1 runs from 10/17 - 11/01 and task 2 runs from 10/24 - 11/24)? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Your first request makes little sense. The reason you link tasks is because TaskA must be finished before TaskB can begin. Just because a group of tasks have the same Finish date is not a reason for "grouping" them so you can then link them to a task that has an immediately following Start date.

Your second question has a "yes" and "no" answer. No: you cannot link tasks so that the second task's start is in the middle of the first task's duration. Yes: you can link tasks so that the Start of the second task takes place n days after the start of the first task.

Link the two tasks
In the Gantt diagram double-click on the link
In the popup
change the Type to Start-to-Start
change the Lag to "n days" -- for example, 5d to have the second task start 5WD after the first task starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back