Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Grouping is not working properly..

Status
Not open for further replies.

syncdba

IS-IT--Management
Nov 28, 2005
US
Hi All,
I have created a report in CRXI with 3 GROUP's in it.
1st GROUP BY app_date like Today,1 days,2days,3days...1 week,2week..1month.
2nd GROUP BY date
3rd GROUP BY app_name.
Apps_date & date are different dates.The report shows data as follows:
App_name Apps_date Date
aaa Today 05/31/2007
bbb Today 05/30/2007
ccc Today 05/22/2007
aaa Today 05/21/2007

aaa 1day 05/31/2007
bbb 1day 05/30/2007
ccc 1day 05/27/2007
aaa 1day 05/26/2007 ....

When I saved report in Crystal Enterprise XI. The report shows data differently(seems groups are not working properly on server)..
aaa Today 05/31/2007
bbb 1day 05/30/2007
ccc 1day 05/22/2007
aaa Today 05/21/2007

aaa 1day 05/31/2007
bbb 2day 05/30/2007
ccc 1day 05/27/2007
aaa 1week 05/26/2007

How can I fix the report on server.

Thanks in advance.

Not sure why you need groups at all, just use Report->Record Sort Expert.

-k

Hi,
I need the groups to see data by Apps_date,Apps_name & by date. Report works fine in CRXI but when I publish the report in Crystal Enterprise XI, the report shows different set of data in Apps_date column.
I have published many times many report but this happens first time so really don't know what to do.

Check that the data source configuration on the server is exactly the same as the data source configuration on the PC from where you designed the report. You may be hitting a different database from the server.

You have described the server software as Crystal Enterprise XI. It is called Business Objects Enterprise XI and the latest version is BOE XI Release 2 with Service Pack 2.

Open up the CCM (Central Configuration Manager) and confirm which version of the software you are running. BOE XI R2 with Service Pack 2 should be 11.5.8.826

XIr2 original = 11.5.0.313 for all services
XIr2 + SP1 (at a later date) = mixture of 11.5.0.313 and 11.5.3.417
XIr2 + SP1 (slipstreamed) = 11.5.3.417 for all services
XIr2 + MHF1 = 11.5.7.608 for all services
XIr2 + CHF13 = mixture of 11.5.7.608 and 11.5.7.682
XIr2 + CHF14 = mixture of 11.5.7.608 and 11.5.7.723
XIr2 + CHF15 = mixture of 11.5.7.608 and 11.5.7.770
XIr2 + CHF16 = mixture of 11.5.7.608 and 11.5.7.811
XIr2 + CHF17 = mixture of 11.5.7.608 and 11.5.7.852
XIr2 + SP2 = 11.5.8.826 for all services

Get your installation on the latest software and see if the problem still exists.

Yes it could be Crystal Reports Server and not BOE XI R2, but the version issues still apply and the version numbers will still be the same. CRS uses the same code base as BOE XI R2.

And BOE XI R2 uses the code base of Crystal Enterprise.

That being one of the reasons they bought CR...

What's your point? That earlier versions didn't group correctly?

I would say that you're mistaken since I've used every version and never had groupiung go awry.

There are issues of course but you quote nothing here about a known issue, just that they upgrade to the newest version and if it still fails, you'll guess again.

I would "guess that" they have something else amiss, such as the wrong connectivity on the server software, resulting in bad data being returned, or perhaps even a different database.

They responded with " I need the groups to see data by Apps_date,Apps_name & by date." to me, which doesn't make any sense, sorting still allows for that.

They should also check to see what sorting is specified...

ANyway, they also say that they're grouped by app date, which has today before a 1 day, which would be wrong if they are text.

Perhaps they mean it's a date and there's some interpretation at play here...or they have specified order...

-k

Synapse,

my first post suggests the datasource on the server as being a possible cause.

Additionally, my first post asked syncdba to identify precisely which version of the software they are using.

I have seen issues recently fixed by SP2 that were outstanding issues in SP1 and previous versions.

I don't disagree with you that if a report groups correctly in CR it should group correctly when published in BOE XI or CRS XI.

However, in my experience, it is difficult to id problem causes when you are dealing with unknowns, such as software names and versions.

My intention was to assist syncdba overcome their problem as is the intent of this forum, rather than engage in a game of one upmanship.

Not trying to one up you, you're being defensive.

Being asked to explain yourself is not one upmanship, no matter how above that you feel that you are.

-k

Hi Synapse & groogle,

I'm able to get the same data in GROUP"Apps_date" in the report which was published on the server yesterday. I was using a small sql in my report with ORDER BY apps_date,date_date. When I took out the ORDER BY clause from SQL & did ORDER BY through crystal report. The report works fine to server too.

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back