Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

grouping by a sum - is this possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnism

Technical User
Jul 31, 2002
US
Is there away to do this.
I am top ending my first group but with in this group I need to group by the top sum of a location ( make sense ).
Problem is groups take precedence over the sorts .
So I can't really use the top end function ( it seems to lose it effect the more groups that are involved ).

hi

try
Sum({your_field},{your_group})

cheers

pgtek

I created a formula like that , but you can not group on that ? any other ideas?

hi

did you try to change your group to that formula instead?

pgtek

yes I did and the formula does not appear in the options.
The formula is on the report - also.
thanks for the input - oh I am on 8.5

Generally summing and grouping are the same thing.

Please explain in full detail what you are trying to sum, and what you are trying to group.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Exact Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

The report display the top 50 sales people by the year to date sales , then top locations of that salesperson by year to date sales, then the top customers for that location by year to date sales. ( hope this makes sense)
so my groups are
1)Salesperson
2)Location
3)Customer
I can top in my salesperson ( no problem )
but sense I am group on location and summing the sales crystal wants to sort the location by its id ( or name ) and I need to do this by the location sums.
Same with the 3rd group customer.
Make more sense?

This is a multilevel TopN report. Just go back to your TopN/Sort Group Expert, and pick the sort options desired for Groups 2 and 3.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Exact Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

I tried that and it seems to kick out records, is there away to not set the "where N is" area? Blank is all the way it is ( or what is the max number )?
Thanks for the help.

Can you give an example of what output you want to have?

Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Expert's Guide to Formulas / Tips and Tricks / Guide to Crystal in VB
- tek@kenhamady.com

johnism,

Can you email me the report?

dgilsdorf@trianglepartners.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back