Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Grouping by a Date

Status
Not open for further replies.

menuch

MIS
Jan 8, 2003
US
I am trying to group by a date and only display the months. The problem is I dont have all dates in the field to show a full calendar year. How can I do that so for the months that I dont have the total will be 0 (Zero)?

Menuch
Report Designer

This is an age old problem in CR, you want to display 0's for periods that don't exist.

My pat answer is to resolve this problem forevermore by creating a Periods Table and joining the Periods table to your data, then use the date criteria against the period table.

A Periods table has various attributes, such as Year, month, day, date, fiscal period, holiday, etc.

Standard fare in Data Warehousing.

In your case, make sure that you add in a row which has months but no date, then you can select for month = X and date is null.

Since a Grouping is based on existing data, you can't really do this within Crystal - without some elaborate non-reusable code, doesn't make sense in the long term.

If you hadn't needed to group on it, we might have had a simple solution.

OK you could create a formula to check the next month at the report header and group footer level and output month + carriage return + 0 to cheat this in a loop to cover the difference.

-k

Ok, I undrstand what you are saying, but can you elaborate more on the formula at the end?

Thanks.

Menuch
Report Designer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back