Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group to user permissions not working!

Status
Not open for further replies.

medwards

Programmer
Nov 9, 2001
US
Hi,
I just set up a very large multi-user Access database that works great except for one thing. When I assign a user to a group, the group's permissions are not carried over to the user and I have to manually give permissions to each user. Any idea why this is happening? Is there a way to turn permission inheritance on or off?

No, there isn't. What indications do you received to cause you to believe this is happening. I've worked with the security for quite a while, in fact I manage permissions in code for a release, and usually discover that I make premature assumptions that lead to faulty conclusions. MAKE SURE you are always pointing the the correct workgroup file from the icon target property if you use that access method.

Could multiple group assignments be the problem. Remember if the user is assigned three groups (users, admins, developers) that the user will inherit the least restrictive permissions. If they are given the modify permission in developers and not in the other two then they have the modify permission.

Not necessarily saying this is the problem but only attempting to discuss some of the possibilities.

Steve King Growth follows a healthy professional curiosity

Hi,
I created two groups with different permissions. I then created two users and added each to one of the groups. When I did this I thought that the permissions for the groups would carry over to the users but they did not. the users still have no permissions even though the groups that they belong to do. I double checked everything and even deleted the users and groups and tried again but got the same results. I can give the users their own permissions but the group permissions have no effect. I spent hours on this and can not figure out what's going on.

NEVERMIND! When I added users to groups I expected that groups permissions to appear in the user's permissions, but they don't. My users have the groups' permissions; it just doesn't look like they do. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back